Monday, December 2

Thanksgiving and After Turkey Day Sammie

Although I didn't buy a turkey, of course we did have a wonderful Thanksgiving turkey dinner with family on *Casey Key-Nokomis Beach. The spread was great and the company even better. Below is a picture of my two appetizer offerings: Artichoke & Caramelized Onion Tart and Stuffed Mushrooms. The tart is a mix match of recipes that I put together and I think it turned out really great. 

The tart is a mix match of recipes that I put together and I
 think it turned out really great.
 

Ingredients: 

1 onion, thinly sliced
1-2 tbsp  olive oil
14 oz. can of quarters artichokes
1 tbsp Dijon Mustard
2 eggs
8 oz. Mascarpone cheese
1/2 c Half & Half ( or whipping cream)
1/4 tsp white pepper
1/8 tsp nutmeg
1 c Jagerberg cheese
1/2 c Parmesan cheese






Make tart crust, follow all directions except only cook for only ten minutes.  Preheat oven to 350. Over medium-low heat olive oil, add sliced onions and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cook until caramelized, golden brown but not burnt- low heat is key here. **Cook for about 45 minutes, stirring occasionally. 
  • Brush the crust with the Dijon. Drain the artichokes and evenly spread both artichokes and  caramelized onions on crust. Whisk eggs,  Mascarpone, cream, white pepper, nutmeg and cheese then pour filling in tart pan; sprinkle with Parmesan. Bake until tart is set in the center ( about 40 minutes). Cool for about 15 minutes before serving. 

Ok so now for the important stuff. The leftovers. 

This is my "turkey" club "sandwich" that I whipped up this weekend. It has no turkey and no real bread but it was delicious. I have been wanting to make some paleo bread for a while now but haven't gotten the chance and I am so glad I waited for Thanksgiving leftovers! It was a match made in heavan. 

This recipe is super simple. Left over poultry, leftover ***cranberry sauce, avocado, lettuce, and paleo bread. Simple. Delicious. The smoothness of the avocado and the tartness from the cranberry sauce plus the tiny bit of sweetness from the bread makes a perfect balanced bite of yumminess. 



The sandwich does look pretty small but that bread really feels you up since it is made of mostly almond flour. 
_______________________________________________


*Doesn't everyone visit the beach on thanksgiving? Or is that just a Florida thing?



** I did this the day before so the tart could be fresh but I wouldn't be trying to get it cooked in the morning before we left. 
*** Please do not use that much honey! Are you crazy AB? (I used 1/3 pomegranate juice, 2/3 fresh squeezed OJ, and 1/3 cup honey.)

No comments:

Post a Comment