Wednesday, December 11

Soups on.

Inquiring minds want to know: How do you get more veggies in your diet?

It's hard. I mean do you like to eat a green bean or broccoli floret on your way to work in the morning? Neither do I and this is why whether you are at home or on the road SOUP is great for breakfast!

Although the weather here in Florida is not that chilly, this time of year it is so nice to have a warm cup of something in your hand every morning. For some that may be coffee, or tea. And for others Soup. Varieties I have had for breakfast in the last 6 months include: Silky Gingered Zucchini Soup, Tomato Soup,  Mushroom Soup, Golden Cauliflower Soup.

Before writing me off due to this crazy-out-there idea I am endorsing, you have got to try it first. At least once. Breakfast usually includes a few eggs and maybe some sausage but unless you eat things sporadically like myself then you might not be eating a salad or leftover collard greens with your first meal of the day. Isn't the first the most important? So why wouldn't you include at least one serving of vegetables?

Back to today's Soup. Like a lot of the recipes I make, I didn't invent this. I saw something I liked and I put a twist and revamped it into what I wanted.

Velvety Garlic Vegetable Soup

Olive Oil
Salt
2 heads Garlic
6 c Bone Broth*
1 c Onion, diced
2 Carrots, peeled and sliced
1 Jalapeno or Serrano, sliced
1 inch fresh Ginger, peeled and minced
2 c Zucchini, diced

Roast your garlic. Heat up your favorite soup pot over medium and add a few tablespoons of olive oil. Saute the onions, carrots and jalapenos until onions are translucent. Add in the ginger and zucchini, season with salt and saute until fragrant. Add in your broth and roasted garlic and simmer for 20 minutes or until the carrots are tender. At this point it is time to get velvety. To do this you can either use an immersion blender or a blender. Blend until smooth. Serve and eat.

Another great thing about soup. It makes multiple servings so you basically have cooked something for the whole week**. I ate today's soup for lunch and added a bit of leftover Crockpot BBQ beef. It was delicious. Sometimes breakfast, lunch or dinner really can be very easy. 

What is your favorite soup?

____________________________________________________________

*This can be any type of bone broth you have on hand or vegetable broth for a vegetarian soup.
** Of course if you don't want to eat all the same flavored soup all week don't forget that you can freeze it for later.


No comments:

Post a Comment